June 20, 2012

art and chips by the sea







Turner Contemporary by Andy Tuohy

On Saturday we drove the hour or so over to Margate to check out Turner Contemporary. Currently the main exhibition is Tracey Emin, She Lay Down Deep Beneath the Sea. I don't think I've seen Emin's work in person since she won the Turner prize. There were a couple of rooms of drawings, but my favourites were the tapestries and blue embroideries as I thought the textures and colours were really interesting. Rodin's The Kiss was also in the gallery.






After that we took a wander around Margate. It felt like so many other seaside towns in the UK. Traditional with fish and chips, arcades, seafood stalls and closed down shops in the centre. Obviously we had to eat some chips by the sea! 






Walking back to the car, we stumbled across a mini village with lots of independent art galleries, vintage shops and cafes. I particularly liked the Margate Gallery, which had an exhibition by Andy Tuohy. I also really liked these stenciled graffiti designs by Stewy, scattered around the town.





On the way back, we stopped off in Herne Bay where I wandered between the beach huts. After we stopped in Whitstable. I always take a look in Frank, an independent shop with lots of lovely prints and books. 






8 comments:

  1. lovely post. that sea looks like the caribbean! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! yes though I imagine it was freezing! x

      Delete
  2. That looks like a great day out (especially the chips. Yum!) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was a good day, though the sea air made us really tired! chips were amazing x

      Delete
  3. Lucky you, must of been a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Art, beach huts, chips, seagulls...all some of my favourite things! I've heard about that Frank shop, it sounds brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehe, couldn't agree more! Frank is lovely, a tiny little treasure trove! x

      Delete

Hello! Thank you for leaving a comment, it's lovely to hear from you x